Saturday, November 17, 2012

School Board Meeting Monday the 19th


UPDATE: You must be signed up by 7pm if you wish to speak; details are below. You do not have to arrive until Citizen Communication, which should begin around 9:15 or so. I am the first signed up, followed by my husband! If you want to show support but not speak, that's great, too. There is a hallway outside of the board auditorium where children can be if you are concerned about them being bored or loud in the auditorium. I imagine we can support each other in keeping an eye on them all.
______________________________________________________________________


There is a school board meeting on Monday, November 19 at 7pm. My husband and I plan to speak at the meeting.

PLEASE NOTE: THE MEETING BEGINS AT 7PM, BUT CITIZEN COMMUNICATION IS NOT SCHEDULED UNTIL 9:20.  SIGN UP MUST BE DONE BEFORE 7 (SEE NOTES BELOW) BUT I DO NOT KNOW IF WE MUST WAIT THERE FROM 7 TO 9:20, OR IF WE CAN EXPECT THAT PART OF THE MEETING TO HAPPEN RIGHT AT 9:20.  I WILL POST MORE ON THIS TOMORROW. WHEN I GO IN TO SIGN UP, I'LL ASK QUESTIONS.  I am very sorry for not having all this information straight to begin with.  I really thought I had looked around the website & found what I needed.  I wish I'd called & confirmed.  I'm sorry for any inconvenience & hope you can still attend. 

We are not sure how we are handling childcare.  If you know a great sitter, please email me at KeepAustinNIP@gmail.com.  I'm wondering about sharing a sitter & if there's a lobby kids could play in...

If anyone has trouble finding the building or anything, you can call or text me on my cell at (512) 655-9NIP.

The following information is from AISD's website, if you would like to speak at it or just attend to show support.
Every Regular Board meeting includes one hour for Citizens Communication. Each speaker is allotted two minutes. This allows up to 30 speakers, who speak in the order in which they signed up, to address the Board about the issue of their choice.
If you wish to speak during Citizens Communication, you must sign up on the day of the meeting, before the meeting begins. You can sign up in the Superintendent's Office (Rm. A-250) during regular work hours (7:45 am to 4:45 pm), or in the Board Auditorium between 4:45 pm and 7:00 pm. Speakers will be asked to provide the following information: The subject to be addressed, speaker's name, address, and telephone number, and, if applicable, the group or organization the speaker represents. An individual may not sign up for another person, nor can speakers exchange time or yield time to others.
Board meetings are held at the Carruth Administration Complex (CAC) located at 1111 West 6th Street, Room B-100, Austin, Texas, 78703.

All citizens' comments at Regular Board meetings are televised and rebroadcast on AISD Cable Channel 22 and over the AISD Website.
To get an idea of what the board meetings are like, you can view one here.  Citizen Communication begins just before the 29 minute mark.

Another great way to prepare to speak can be found in this fascinating TED Talk. It's a very worthwhile 20 minutes.  You should watch this even if you won't be at the board meeting.  It's awesome.

Please let us know here or on Facebook if you plan to attend.   Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment